Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EURO TRIP?

4 posters

:: Events

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

EURO TRIP? - Page 4 Empty Re: EURO TRIP?

Post by numbnuts Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 pm

The 2x cobra walkie talkies that I already have will do pretty much the same. They can be connected to ether close face or open face mics with push to talk. Rated to 5km and as we discovered on our last French outing worked fine without an external aerial.

numbnuts

http://www.fullersforestry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 pm

I have been looking at some posh blue tooth motorbike ones, but they seem to be too flash and expensive for me.

Consequently, been looking at using normal and cheaper comms radios. They have the added hassle of needing a wiring harness to link everything up, but with the hassle of having a helmet and a seat harness to contend with when your getting in and out, then to me the added hassle of plugging your helmet into a radio is insignificant. The cheaper radios mean you have to use a PTT button rather than have a voice activated mic, but with an open face helmet I reckon it would be accidentally activating the mic all the time anyway.

I really prefer the open face helmet for the road and have found and chatted to a company called Intaride who make head sets with a very good noise cancelling mic for £28. Its more money, but I reckon the mic will be the weak link in the system, so reckon this will let me use the open face helmet at a reasonable cost.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackracing Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 pm

I might be able to rustle up 3 x icom radios for your trip.

Let me check in my stash

Jackracing

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks Jack.

Re range, from talking to Intaride the important factors regarding range are whether you are using it inside a car as the metal bodyshell acts like a Farady cage and the signal bounces around inside the car till it finds a way out. However, we ar ein open top cars, so the radios should work better than when we used them in the motorhomes last time we were in France. The other important point is to have the aerial as high as you can get it and to keep it vertical. I was thinking about mounting it on the roll cage above my helmet and fitting a remote PTT on the steering wheel

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:14 am

Ed, what model of Cobra radios are the ones you have?

Also how many batteries do they take? From memory they were 4 x AAA, and whilst they come with rechargeable ones, we may have difficulty charging them, so ordinary batteries may be best (should be able to get one or two days use from a set of batteries).

Do you know if the PTT button can be removed from the Cobra sets to reveal a socket that will allow a remote PTT (maybe fitted to the steering wheel) to be used?

I was looking at Cobra MT975 radios as they have a socket that you can plug an intercom adapter into, which allows you to run two headsets from a single radio - IE a two person intercom system.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 am

Mine are the MT245 model, towards the cheaper end of the range. They take 3xaaa batteries but can be charged from a USB, I was planning on having 12v cigarette lighter and plug in the sat nav for half of the time and then plug in the usb converter and charge the radio (or get a twin 12v) or as you say might be easier to take 6 spare batteries.

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Thanks Ed, I have looked up the spec of these radios, and they are comparatively quite low on range. I know we used them ok last time we were in France, but that was just between two vehicles on open roads. On the Eurotrip, there will be 4 cars and we will be on wooded twisty roads with some cars being on one side of a wooded inclined hairpin and other cars being the other side, so they might not be powerfull enough. Like the feature of being able to charge via USB though as I have a cigar lighter for powering the satnav. These radios don't seem to have the ability for one radio to act as an intercom unit, which is important for me, consequently I will be looking for a different type of radio. The spec says they can communicate with other PMR446 type radios, so I will be looking a PMR446 type radio to ensure compatability.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:08 pm

I have the radios but am happy to replace with another if a better solution is found for all

Ed

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:04 pm

What distance do you think we will be apart from each other on the road?

I have just had a Muller rice and there are 3 more in the fridge....................now where did I put that string?

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:00 am

Hi Ed, the range of these radios basically works on line-of-sight, consequently it can drastically reduce in built up areas, and significantly reduce in wooded areas, hills or dips. I imagine we would be using them for a fair bit of time, but the most useful time would when we are getting split up in built-up areas at junctions, traffic lights etc; suddenly seeing a tabac or pattiserie to stop at; warning of obstacles when ragging round the twisty, wooded, hilly bits; which are all areas where the signal is weaker.

I reckon we could be doing more of this in the future, and possibly joining in some of the SKCC trips so it may be a good idea to get the same radios they use.

These type of radios appear to be called PMR446 radios and all operate in the same frequency range, subsequently I think most of them can communicate with each other, but a channel on one make of radio may vary to the same numbered channel on another make of radio?

I guess the Cobra radios you already have would be sufficient for most of the time, so you may want to stay with those. My personal preference at the moment is the Cobra MT975 as it has the feature where you can use a single radio to provide an intercom between yourself and a passenger. Apparently you need a Cobra intercom adapter, but none of the stockists seem to have these! I reckon it is just a one to two jack plug adapter, but don't know the diameter of the plug or how many poles you need. The MT975 have a range of 12km in open areas, whilst yours has a range of 5km.

I have also seen a set of Binatone Action 1100 radios that have a 10km range (in open spaces), which includes 2 radios and 2 open face headsets with PTT for £80.

The radios are about £55 for a pair, and head sets with PTT are about £17 for full face helmets and £20 for open face helmets.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:23 am

This is probably a good example of range:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGUhwPmH3Q8

The Binatone radio which is the second one he tries has an advertised range of 10km!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:26 am

The Motorola radio he tries has an advertised range of 8km, yet it was the only one that worked over the 1 mile distance he was testing them on.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:03 am

This is a an interesting youtube clip demonstrating the Cobra MT975 radio performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzBsISrcls
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:19 am

Bit more info on the Cobra MT975 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usIw9PUx_rk
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:39 pm

OK I take your point I think we need quality comms, I will be interested in your findings
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:52 pm

A pair of Cobra MT975 radios and headsets with PTT for use with full face helmets are about £78 inc postage off e-bay, whilst a pair with headsets to suit open face helmets are about £90.

The ones for open face helmets have mics on booms rather than just Velcro, so cost more. Open face mics ideally need to be noise cancelling as well and not sure if this is the case with the ones advertised.

I reckon we may all have problems conversing above 60mph due to wind noise (theres a lot of conflicting information), but it seems theres only one way to find out! Because of this I was thinking of using a throat mic, but they seem to have acoustic tube earpieces, which would probably not be loud enough. There is also an option to have fit-in-ear earpieces but this adds extra cost.

If they are troublesome at high speeds, then at least they should be ok in built up areas, which is probably when we will need them most.

billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackracing Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Having used a variety of microphones during my time living in holes...........

Throat mikes take away the wind noise issue, but listening to transmission from they takes some getting used to.

Wind noise on boom mikes can be reduced with a sponge covers,plastic sheet + trial and error.
Jackracing
Jackracing

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:34 am

HI Billy radios I have are HYT TC446.

I charged and tested them on the weekend they all work. The only thing I can't comment on is how good the battery's are for sustained use. I have checked and headsets are avaliable for them for about 10 quid each
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Getting impatient waiting for the Euro-trip, but must make sure we don't get too excited lie this bloke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgH9X1NXpjE
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu May 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Its getting closer Very Happy

Took the Mk2 out on Tuesday night to the local Tiger Club meeting which is just 6 miles away. Good journey there but on the way back started losing various electrical systems, starting with the headlights and sidelights Shocked

Managed to do the first couple of miles by holding the flasher switch, then that died as well. In the end all I had was the rear fog light Embarassed

As I left the St Ives ring road it was pitch black but there was a motorbike about 1/4 mile up the road and it was about 2 miles to the next junction, so I sped up to about 70/80 and managed to catch the bike before the junction, which thankfully then went to Somersham and past my house Smile

Looked at the car last night and it seems to be just dirty contacts in the fuse box/fuses and the spring clips seem to have lost their tension. Anyhow ,seems fine now but need to do a few more miles before leaving for France.

Whilst I was in the workshop, I made a sun shield for the satnav as well.

MOT being done on Saturday and renewed my insurance today and notified them of the trip.

Gillie has put me on her Dartcharge account as well ready for going through the Dartford tunnel.

How are the rest of you doing with the preparation?
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 am

After a productive weekend with Billy only a few things to do. Car is currently in with Tiger to replace steering shaft and UJ as they where knackered, new pads oil change and few small tidy up jobs that I dont have time for. Oh and I can report back that I will be doing a European road trip without 1st gear! syncro has gone so a gearbox refresh is booked in when we return £££££

Billy can you measure the length of sat nav lead that we tried at the weekend that was 6" to short as I have found one but without having my car I don't know if it will be long enough, thanks

numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed May 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Ed, will measure it tonight.

Got an MOT for the car Saturday morning before Ed came round. Went for a run with Ed on Sunday, where it became apparent that there were too many reflections off the sat nav so it would need repositioning. Headed back home to sort it out and went for another run later in the day. Also the headlights were much improved but still giving some problems. It was also apparent that a tonneau cover would be worthwhile. Additionally, the noise problem with the radios is interference from the ignition and not wind noise.

Last night sorted a tonneau cover for the passenger side. Also sprayed the new sat nav mount matt black and fitted that to the windscreen. Also sprayed some contact cleaner in the light switch and exercised it, plus dug out a spare switch assembly.

Tonight going to look into the interference problems with the radios. Will try them away from the car with it at a fast idle, then get closer to see how close I can get before the problem starts. Will then look into the possibilities of a remote aerial.

Hopefully going on a run with the local Tiger club on Saturday to get another journey under my belt before the Eurotour to make sure everything (including the headlights) is behaving itself. Before the run just need to reset the front toe from toe-out to toe-in which will be more suitable for road use, and also soften all the dampers a tad plus the rear anti-roll bar. Will also up the tyre pressures as they will not be getting as much heat into them as they do when racing.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 pm

I had a go with the radios last night away from the car (sat running on a fast idle) till they were working ok and then moved closer till the distortion started. It seemed to be bad when about 6ft or closer to the car and I then moved around the car trying to find a better position for it, but with only a marginal improvement. I then tried the radios in the Aygo and they were fine so then tried again on the Aygo with the bonnet (steel) open and one of the radios close to the engine, which caused some distortion, but not as bad as the Hornet.

I have borrowed a set of Midland radios from Dave (they work fine on his TVR) to see if they are affected the same as the Cobra radios, which I will try out tonight. However, current thoughts are that there are breaks in the HT leads, causing internal sparking and RF interference, so looking at replacing the HT leads, so will give that a go at the weekend.

Ian, are you going to take the radios you have?
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:18 am

Not long now Very Happy

The fuel problems in France seem to be getting much better, and the worst affected areas were the west and the north of France. Consequently, we will fill up (including spare can) at the Sainsburys just off the M20, Junction 9 at Ashford. This means we wont have to fill up at Calais, and should get well into France before having to refill.

Went out for a run with the EATOC Tigers last weekend (100 miles) and the lights worked fine. Have also replaced the HT leads and the radio is much better, but still difficult to hear over 35mph due to the noise of the car. However, it will be fine for what we need.

Tonneau made and fitted to the car plus all my kit loaded onto the car.

Looked at the long range forecasts last week and it was sunny for most of the time, but thunderstorms for one maybe two days. Checked again yesterday and the temperatures have come up a few degrees C, and the thunderstorms have gone. However, there looks to be chances of light rain on three of the days. I will check again the morning of our departure.

Hope your all getting on with your preparations OK
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Pick up my car from Tiger tomorrow, hopefully they have done what was required (bit of a lottery at times) then it is a case of seeing if I can fit everything in. Might not have room for any clothes, so its a good job I booked us into nudist camp sites. affraid
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:48 am

Good luck with your car today Ed.

Just had a quick look at the weather forecast and it seems to be improving all the time Cool

Looks like it will be a warm (68 F) and dry run down to Folkestone, then scorchio (clear skies and 77 F) for the next couple of days through France and into Alsace. As we leave Alsace and head into Luxembourg and onto Belgium it starts to get cloudy and the temperature drops a little to 72 F, with some showers. The worst day is the last from Belgium back to Blighty, which is still 70 F but some periods of rain.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:06 am

As well as the other spares we are taking, last night I dug out a Facet solid state fuel pump I have just in case. I don't think any of us use these, but at least we can slave it in if a Red Top or Mitsuba fuel pump fails.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Well a week since we got back and I have to say what a bloody enjoyable few days.

The cars behaved impeccably apart from some shenanigans bought on by the standard of the Belgian motorways. Despite the rain on some days I can honestly say that I wouldn't have wanted to do this trip in anything other than the fury.

Also the reception the cars received in most villages and fuel stops was amazing you would have thought 4 ferrari had turned rather than 4 fibreglass bathtubs lol.

All in all about the same cost as a race weekend and I could quite easily lean to doing a couple of these year if I had enough holiday at work.

Happy days cheers to Billy for the organisation and hard work its most appreciated
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:50 am

It was certainly an adventure and very much like a Top Gear special Very Happy We learnt an awful lot about touring Europe in kit cars and that will be put into practice for the next time. I reckon that gave me as much of a buzz as doing the Birkett used to, and I am certainly missing my adrenalin fix this week. I think it will become a feature for future years.

There is certainly a lure to go further to the Dolomites or the Black Forest, but to be honest I don't think the extra miles would be worth it. Although the twisty ribbons of tarmac up the mountain passes look awesome in photos, it is basically a drag race between each 1st or 2nd gear hairpin. I think the faster flowing nature (ideal for the torque of our engines and light weight of the cars) of the roads in the Vosges were absolutely perfect for our cars (with the occasional hairpins to add some variety). Even when the roads were wet, it was so easy to dance the cars through the corners with little dabs of brake or throttle or a little lift-off oversteer, which maintained a very exciting pace along those roads. Despite doing 220 miles of these awesome roads, we have only sampled a small portion of them, so I reckon we should go back there, rent a self catering chalet, and sample more of those roads.

Proposed itinerary would be camp at Folkestone, then another cheap 5 day return on the train, travel 365 miles all the way to the Vosges on the first day, then 3 nights in the chalet and the last night near Arras on the way back to include some WW1 sites. Would probably do 2 tours per day from the chalet.

billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:21 pm

I echo both of your thoughts! perfectly behaved cars (apart from the Feltcher wasp Relient 3 wheeler thingy) I think we learnt alot about how to make it more enjoyable next time. ie camp base to free up more hours in the evening for Tawny Port and BS around the campfire (and possibly a more leisurely cuppa in the morning).

The roads where perfect and why go further until we have exhausted these roads!! I would love to re do the section we did in the rain and mist in the dry without the tour de bloody France (piss poor planning billy, i expect better next time LOL) oh and we can redo the Sled run.

I agree with Ian and would happily forego a race each year to do this. I am surprised to say that it was as much as a buzz and it also fed my ego with all the smiles and photos etc which reminded me how lucky we are to have these cars. When in a paddock of people with unlimited funds it is easy to think that I only have a crappy Tiger but on our trip i was very proud to be in a Kit car, what other race cars could with little or no modifications turn into GT cars and deliver me in surprising comfort across countries and turn into a hill climber with a drop of a gear? (nearly turned into an exterminator of anything wearing either a cow bell or Lycra, but thats another story) Before this trip I was worried that it would bore me as driving to Stonleigh on my own has done in the past, but not at all, even the motorway miles where fine, being in a Top Gear convoy helps with that enjoyment.

If i had enough holidays (boss is a bit of a dick) I would do a couple a year but that probably is not possible. I know its not the same in this country but would try a mini weekend version instead.

Cant wait to see the footage.

have taken the gear linkage apart and will be a couple of weekends until it is sorted but after that I will be up for a Sunday run.

P.S. i haven't forgot who tampered with my helmet! Suspect
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 pm

The feltcher wasp reliant thingy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ed I was pressured into the salami in the helmet by Mr Feltcher

There was a rawness about the trip I especially enjoyed the impromptu food stops where the cars were used as tables the cars were utterly abused but it brings you closer to the foibles

Incidently I have been doing a full nut and bolt check on the Fury over the last few days tonight I found that the lower rear radius arm bolt had lost its nut and had worked all the way through the bush except maybe quarter of an inch it would have been brown trousers time if it had worked all the way out as the rear suspension would have collapsed affraid
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:55 am

Next years Eurotour is already 75% planned Very Happy

There are some relatively cheap wooden self catering chalets just a few miles from where we passed the police van whilst cutting across the corners (sorry officer Rolling Eyes ). With not having to set up and break camp each day, there will be plenty of time for one long or two shorter tours per day, plus we will have a fridge to keep food in, so this will cut down on having to shop each day. We will also have more time for sightseeing and BBQs at some of those amazing viewpoints.

Tours of the Vosges will include an extended (probably about 70 miles) late afternoon/evening run round the 2 medieval villages we missed out, but will now include a climb up an adjacent mountain to a castle on the top of it. Another run will be an early morning run to the area Ed mentioned and to the toboggan run. Another run will be one to the concentration camp in time for a good look round. If the weather is bad, then we can go back to the car museum for a day. And another run can be to the mountain where the Hartmannswillerkopf battles took place in WW1.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

:: Events

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum