Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EURO TRIP?

4 posters

:: Events

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

EURO TRIP? - Page 2 Empty Re: EURO TRIP?

Post by billy f Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:35 am

For those of us that go on the Euro Trip, it is very usefull to have a sat nav that can have "itinerary's" loaded onto it. An intinerary is a route from A to B but includes various waypoints that you have to pass through. What this means, is that instead of the Sat Nav working out its own route, it has to follow the route on the itinerary, and this means you can create a route that takes in various points of interest, shops, cafes, interesting roads, little detours etc. Additionally, if we get split up in a city/town, or held up at traffic lights/junctions, we can easily regroup by following the sat nav till we meet up again, or re-group at the next waypoint. If we are split up it would also be difficult to use a mobile phone in the kit cars due to the wind and engine noise and the fact that in an open car it would be obvious to the bizzies. It would also be difficult to map read, due to the size of the area we are covering, the scale of the maps, and the fact we are using country roads as there are lots of minor roads that wont be on the maps.

I first came across this via the Southern Kit Car Club and so I will refer to their guides on how to use them.

The itineraries are created using a free programme off the internet, and then are downloaded to your sat nav via the same programme, which is here:
http://www.tyretotravel.com/
The programme interacts with google maps, so its quite easy to use.

How to check if your Sat Nav can use itinerary files: http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4352

You’ll need to put the intinerary file into the itn folder. There’s some info here:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44

How to put the .itn on your Sat Nav:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4353

And how to use the file:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4354

If you miss a waypoint the Sat Nav will keep trying to send you back to the missed way point, some info here on what to do:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4358

There’s a lot of info above, but once you get the hang of it is quite simple and a great way to tour Cool

So, first of all if you have a sat nav, please let me know if it will accept itinerary files?

Secondly, I will be creating the intineries (one or more, per days travel) over the next couple of months and will e-mail them out for you to upload and view on the Tyre to travel programme.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Cool looking forward to it

IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:07 pm

The route now includes some WW1 sites in the Somme on the way out, and in Flanders fields on the way back. Also a German concentration camp in Alsace and of course the Schlumph motor collection. Other interesting bits will be the Reims circuit and a summer bobsleigh run at the top of one of the mountain passes.

The initial distance were calculated using autoroute, so I have been using Tyre to include all the little diversions above and also include the best roads (undulating and twisty country roads), which has increased the mileage in Europe now to 1126 miles, but the extra is well worth it. I have also been looking at using the Eurotunnel and as well as saving time (only 35 minutes) it is also cheaper as they do a special 5 day discount return, which would be £59 each way for our cars. Consequently, now looking at leaving Duxford a day earlier at approx 17:00 and camping near Folkestone, for an early crossing the next day. This allows the mileage to be split up better over the following days, which means the distances in Europe are now 278, 234, 249 and 293 miles. The 278 and 293 mile days include a reasonable and relaxed distance on dual carriageways and motorways, so this makes each days travelling relatively easy. Expected costs are now approx £500 for fuel, ferries, camping and entry fees. The stopover points have been moved around as well to spread the best bits of roads over more days Very Happy

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:02 pm

http://www.onedirect.co.uk/two-way-radios/motorbike-communications

These could be added to the radios that I all ready have for three way pi$$ taking?

numbnuts

http://www.fullersforestry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Looks good to me Ed easier way to communicate.

are these the roads we are looking at Billy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT-1VVl9UL8

IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 am

Yes Very Happy those are some of the roads we will be using. We will be on 126 miles of roads like that Laughing If we go by ferry they are all crammed into one day, which would be a pity if it rains. However, if we go by Eurotunnel the time saved allows us to split those roads into 2 days, so an excellent chance of getting one and hopefully two days of good weather on these awesome roads. Also check out how little traffic is on the roads Cool

Ed, comms like those would be great, please could you look into it a bit more? I will be using an open face helmet so would need a mic that cuts out wind noise (atmospheric not anal).

I am progressing with an itinerary based on using the Eurotunnel and have all the days roughly planned. Just going through the routes now finding all the places of interest along the way, so I can work out where we need to be finding campsites. First night is the back of a pub that does food just 6 miles from Folkestone Eurtunnel. Second night is in a park in the middle of a small town on our route, so a short walk into town centre and a McDonalds is just down the road if your that way inclined.
Last night will be at Ypres on edge of the town and easy walking distance for the last post ceremony.
The two nights in between are for when were on the roads that Ian's video link shows. Undecided yet as still finding some good places to visit on those days, which will give several interesting stops to giggle like girls about the roads we had just covered, and stretch out the enjoyment.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Been looking at this place over lunch as its only a couple of miles off route.

http://www.fort-mutzig.eu/pages/_menu/menu_gbus.html#

However, you need to park in the town and its a 2:30 walk tour to/through/and back from the site. I'm not too keen on leaving the cars and kit unattended for that long in a town, and I don't think we will have the time to spare either. However, theres plenty of other places to visit Very Happy

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Billy this might be of interest for you? one of the guys on the Tiger forum does a euro trip each year.

http://southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7613

He is a nice guy, think you might know him possibly? Mark Greenwood?? anyway if you want me to ask him anything let me know as he has done this several times before (apart from the camping bit)

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:48 pm

I have 2 walkie talkies with a 5km range it is £20 each for the head sets (open face or closed) I am happy to buy 2x head sets and keep them after the trip as I can use them as a intercom with my passenger) So Billy and Ian if you want to buy 50% shares in another walkie talkie and headset (about £20 each then we are up and running.

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 am

Thanks Ed, your talking my sort of money there Wink

Maybe we can try them out before the trip? My main worry is the wind-noise on the mic. If they work OK, then I would be happy to buy myself a pair of radios and headsets for the Euro trip.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:40 am

At the start of the link in Ed's post (a couple back) there is a link to a Youtube clip, which has Reims circuit on it plus some of the roads we will be driving in the Ballons Des Vosges. Once again note how quiet the roads are Very Happy In that clip they have used some single track roads, and I don't think they suit our requirements, consequently I have kept to two lane roads as far as possible. There are some short stretches of single lane roads when weare visiting the various WW1 sites in Belgium, but thats all.

I was also trying to avoid the use of toll roads, but I think we are going to have to use a toll road to get from Calais to the Somme WW1 sites (cost about 10 Euros) as there is no suitable alternative (roads along canals/straight rivers with lots of humps/junctions and lots of 50kph speed limits).
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:29 am

The head sets are designed for motorbike use with a a push to talk button so I would like to think they would be Ok for you but yes it would be worth trying one out before we buy a couple.
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:55 pm

The whole route has now been planned on Tyre, so I have been able to tweek each days travel and refine the routes. Total distance in Europe has subsequently reduced from 1126 to 1016 miles, and the mileage is better spread over the days.

I am hoping to be able to send you all the routes (Tyre files) and the revised itinerary by the end of the week. When you open the routes in Tyre, it is just like looking at Google maps, but with the route marked in blue. You can then look at the map view/satellite view/street view, etc to see exactly where we will be going. Additionally, the itinerary now has internet links so you can look up the places of interest and the campsites.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:54 pm

List of French public holidays for 2016 and consequently days to avoid for the Euro Trip:

1 May Sun Labour Day
5 May Thu Ascension Day
8 May Sun Victory in Europe Day
15 May Sun Whit Sunday
16 May Mon Whit Monday
14 Jul Thu Bastille Day
15 Aug Mon Assumption of Mary
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:02 pm

After seeing this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvjpoBoyrs (this is first of 3 parts use links on youtube for the other two parts).

I was wondering about changing the itinerary for the first day from the Somme to Vimy ridge. This will reduce that days mileage by about 15 miles and will save a lot of time. The memorial and museum at Vimy look to be very good, plus there is an untouched area of WW1 battleground with the craters remaining, some underground tunnels and some restored trenches. There is a free tour of the trenches and tunnels if we get our timing right. The documentary gives a very good account of the battle and would help you get an understanding of what went on there.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

VARIOUS ASPECTS TO CONSIDER

JUNCTION PRIORITY
A point to be wary about in France is the priority to the right rule. In towns and on small country lanes a road coming from you right has priority unless it's marked otherwise (with a stop line or give way dotted line)
A road sign with an X indicates these junctions.
A road sign with a thick vertical line and a narrow crossing line means you have priority.
Main roads sometimes have a yellow lozenge sign with a white interior to indicate that it has priority.

HI-VIS VEST & WARNING TRIANGLE
A reflective vest must be reachable without getting out of the car. A red triangle is mandatory as well, but that can be in the boot. If you breakdown you put on your vest in the car then get out to get the triangle that you place to warn approaching vehicles.

EMERGENCY NUMBER
112 is the European emergency call number you can dial anywhere in the European Union in case of accident, assault or in any other distress situation.

BREATHALYSERS
January 2013 – the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.
So you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.
The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. The breathalyser produced has to be in date – single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of 12 months.

GB STICKER
You must display a GB sign - failure to comply could result in an on-the-spot fine.
If your car has number plates that include the GB euro-symbol (Europlates) you don't have to display a conventional GB 'sticker' within the EU.

HEADLIGHTS
The legal requirement is to 'not to cause dazzle to oncoming drivers' rather than specifically to adjust/convert headlamp beam pattern.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:07 pm

I have been doing my homework too. Watched 4 Band of Brothers now, havnt seen this for a few years, cant belive how simular it looks to Saving Private Ryan. I have also got the Tyre app and put in the route. very impressed with the Google Earth overlay and therefore looking at all the photos people have posted. Think I have found a ITN file converter for the Garmin. If I get it working I will let you all know.

Looking at the Mallory footage makes me want to get out on track. What car what the film from? my guess is a Vtec powered one as it revved its bolox off
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:40 pm

Toyota MR2 MK1 4AGE Rev to about 8 grand I think. I did my apprenticeships for Toyota when I left school the little Mk1 Mr2 is a great car
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:01 am

Pleased your managing to get the route software to work, as you say it gives a great insight to the trip.

As mentioned above I have been doing some more research and I propose to change the route for the first day in France to concentrate on the Arras area which includes the largest French cemetery and the Vimy ridge memorial site as this has some great views from the ridge and lots of untouched battle ground to see including some restored trenches and tunnels.

I have also added Vancouver Corner to the last day, which is where the first gas attack of WW1 took place and has the "brooding soldier" memorial, which was originally going to be the memorial at Vimy Ridge that we will see earlier in the trip.

These changes to the trip has reduced the total European mileage to 1004 miles.

In "Band of Brothers" two episodes cover the battle of the bulge, when they are in fox-holes in the forest being shelled and attacked (story concentrates on a medic trying to care for the wounded), then they go back to them in the next episode to attack Foy. We will be visiting a memorial to the 101st Airborne (who Band of Brothers is based on), and I reckon I have located where those actual fox-holes from the war are located, and they are still there.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:01 am

I have just created an .itn file to take me home tonight, which I have now loaded onto my Tom Tom.

This will be a test of the complete .itn system from creating the route on "Tyre", transferring as an .itn file to the Tom Tom, the selecting it on the Tom Tom, and following the route home.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:41 pm

I can see the headlines now. Old man in, cant remember how to get back from work shocker Laughing Laughing Laughing
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:55 am

tongue

Learnt a bit more about the tyre programme on my way home last night, as I avoided some of the waypoints and the tom tom did not re-direct me in order to make sure I passed through them, which is what I expected it to do scratch

From playing about with the programme this morning it looks as if you have to turn a waypoint into a destination if you want to make sure that you have to pass through that point on your journey. You can have as many destinations as you want on the journey, consequently all the places of interest, fuel stops and camp sites on the routes will now be made into destinations Very Happy

I have converted some of the waypoints on my route home to destinations now, so I can practice missing them, then deleting the need to visit that destination mid-journey. This is an important need if we decide to avoid somewhere because of traffic / time restraints / weather etc.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:57 am

Ed, on my way home last night the traffic report on the radio warned there was someone driving on the wrong side of the M11 motorway Shocked

They were wrong, there was hundreds of them affraid
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:23 am

QUICK UPDATE:

Ian can’t do the Euro trip over the Whit bank holiday (28/30 May), consequently it would probably be best to go either the week before (weekend 21/22 May) or the week after (weekend 4/5 June). If we go any later I probably won’t be able to get time off work during June, and if we go earlier the weather is likely to be wetter and we have less time to prepare after racing at Cadwell on 1 May. Therefore, 4/5 June looks to be the best weekend. Are you both OK with this date?

D-day anniversary is 6 Jun, but it’s not a major anniversary, so we shouldn’t have any problems. Battle of the Somme anniversary is not till 1 Jul either. Tour de France is not till early July and Le Mans is not till 18/19 June.

Looking at starting the trip on Wednesday afternoon then having all-day Thursday, Friday and Monday off, with the return journey being made on the Monday. Dave (who is going with us in his TVR) will be having Wednesday afternoon off work, and I will be able to work late a couple of days, so I could leave work about 15:00. With this in mind, would you both be having the Wednesday afternoon off and be ready to depart Duxford at 15:00?

If we leave Duxford at 15:00, then we have the option of travelling across to France on the Wednesday night and camp near Calais/Dunkirk at about 20:30 French time (which is quite late), or stick to the plan and camp at Felixstowe. Camping at Felixstowe gives an easier drive to the channel and more time to set up camp (plus its right next to a pub that serves food), but crossing over on Wednesday would give us a head start for the first day, which would make that day a lot easier. Do you have any preference on camping in France or at Folkestone on the first night?

Please could you post a response to the three questions above Very Happy
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:59 pm

If we travel over to France on the Wednesday night then I have found a campsite just 12 miles south of the Eurotunnel terminus.  This also places us nicely for a pleasant cross-country run to Arras the next day rather than the boring motorway, saving us the toll fees and hassle of getting out of our cars to reach the pay machine! We also don't have to rush and get up as early on the Thursday morning.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:04 am

Re dates above, the weekend of 4/5 June is still during the half-tem break, so might have to go for Wed 8th to Mon 13th June. I may have trouble getting this time off, but how does this suite the rest of you?
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 am

Yes Billy Those dates suit. My apologies Billy I meant to post on here on the weekend but it was a manic one
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:54 am

Either the 4/5th or the 8th to 13th will be fine, as regarding where we stay wed night I am easy Sleep
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, 8th to 13th suits all of us, so I just need to make sure I can get the time off work now a sit will be a very busy month for me. I will let you know as soon as my leave is confirmed.

It will be best to get across the channel on the Wednesday night, so lets plan on that.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:39 pm

I've booked the week of in preparation mate but it can easily be amended to suit
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 am

Whoo-hooo Very Happy

First e-mail at work today is approval for my time off.

Regarding going across on the Wednesday night, I have just remembered that we are getting the cheap 5 day return deal for this trip, so if we went across on the Wednesday night, that would make it six days and we would lose the deal.

billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:10 am

What difference are we talking about Billy?
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 am

Just checked the current prices (prices rise as places reduce)

Going Wednesday night:
out - £70
return - £81
Total £151 but we would save about £7 in toll fees. However, it would also be tight getting the train on time, especially if there are delays with Dartford etc.

Going Thursday morning:
out - £59
return - £61
Total £120
We can take as much time as we like getting to Folkestone on the Wednesday and delay departure from Duxford if its raining etc.

Both Dave and myself are easy either way, with possibly a slight preference for departing Thursday morning.

I suggest we make a quick decision on this and then book the train tomorrow morning. I cant see anywhere were you can make group bookings so we would probably all have to book individually.
If you can let me know your preference before 15:00 today, I will recheck the prices and times and send you an e-mail with where to book and what times. Probably depart out @ 09:20 (but hopefully catch the 08:50 train) and return back @ 13:30.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 am

I'm fine with going Thursday mate
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

:: Events

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum