Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NOT LONG TILL SUMMER!

+3
Jackracing
frodo
IAN51
7 posters

:: Engines

Go down

NOT LONG TILL SUMMER! Empty NOT LONG TILL SUMMER!

Post by billy f Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

I have been saving to replace my boiler in the house with a combi-boiler.

However, there has been an R1 engine package for sale on Locostbuilders for over a week now Sad

So the logic goes something like this:

I have been looking at building the Hornet Mk5 for two years now and its still on the drawing board.
I need to pull my finger out.
That's a lot of engine for little money.
I could use 13" wheels with it instead of the 15" wheels on the rear of the Mk4.
A combi boiler does not rev to 13,750, have a fly-by-wire throttle, variable length intake trumpets or make 183 BHP.
If I'm going to be spending winter in the workshop, then I don't need a boiler.
Not long till summer.

The cheque has just gone in the post Very Happy
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

NOT LONG TILL SUMMER! Empty Re: NOT LONG TILL SUMMER!

Post by IAN51 Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Mate that is the kind of logic and thinking a woman could never understand ! Also knowing your thrifty nature im sure there would be some way to recycle exhaust gases into heating the house !
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by frodo Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Great work Smile
frodo
frodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackracing Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Like your thinking.

Roll on the Mk5
Jackracing
Jackracing

Back to top Go down

Post by bill2b Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm wondering how I can justify a 24mm rear beam on the 205, that's before I get the engine fitted, and I have read that a supercharger might help me keep up with the big boys even if its dry.
Luckily Irene is as keen as I am
Very Happy
bill2b
bill2b

http://www.ibmetals.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:35 am

Nice one Bill, that means you've no excuse for not getting it ready for next season Smile
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:17 am

Well my cheque has arrived and is just awaiting clearing, so hopefully will have the engine in a week or so Very Happy

This is the engine in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHtLvu3TGs

The engine (supplied by Andy Bates) only ever did 3 races (so proven, but not worn out) before being replaced by a Hyabusa, consequently it has all the goodies included for fitting in a car (Power Commander 5 plus Autotune box, aftermarket stub-stacks to replace the factory variable length stubs, Andy Bates modified sump, modified breather reed valves, Barnett clutch springs, modified wiring loom, modified airbox, etc).

These engines had a bit of a reputation for reliability in BECs, but the ones in Jedis and other race cars are fine. I believe this is due to installation problems rather than inherent design problems. EG No4 cylinder is cooled by a partial water jacket plus oil returning from the head, so an additional oil cooler to keep the oil temp reasonable is required. Additionally these engine have an EXUP valve in the exhaust collector for improved low and mid-range torque on the road. Removing this and doing nothing, or even fitting one of the aftermarket electronic cheats cause problems with No2 & 3 going lean, so the trick is to retain the valve but not have it fitted in the exhaust system. The Autotune box piggy backed onto the Power Commander monitors and controls A/F ratios within a prescribed map inside the Power Commander to keep mixtures reasonable anyhow.

For me the benefit of this package is that in is less than a third of the price I would be looking at for the Fireblade RR engine that everyone else is using.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:52 am

It was my birthday yesterday, and also the day that the engine arrived from Northern Ireland. Has everything with it except a fuel pump and a gear selector lever. Has a modified airbox to suit fitting to a car, and I have not had a chance to take the top off yet, but believe it has aftermarket stub-stacks that replace the standard variable stacks. These allow a lower airbox but also give approx 3 to 5 more BHP and lowers the rev limit. Even has two spare ecu's and a set of throttle bodies. All of this including carriage in a purpose built box (took me 45 minutes to dismantle it and get to the engine!) for a grand Very Happy

The build of the new car has started with the rear subframe half completed.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:54 am

on the lookout for a starter motor for a Mk4 Golf and also a 3.38 Ford Sierra diff if anyone knows of any going cheap.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:14 am

Whats the new car going to look like Billy. You still planning a classic looking shape as opposed to the rgb look of the mk4
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:06 am

Hi Ian

My dream of making a Macau Spitfire inspired retro car has unfortunately stayed a dream for the past few years. Consequently, my thoughts for next year were to get some more speed out of the Mk4 by rebuilding two of the u/s engines into a new engine, and possibly with an overbore, then finally fit a LSD.

However, with the arrival of the new engine, all my plans have now changed. The Mk5 will essentially be a Mk4 but with an aluminium honeycomb centre tub, with tubular subframes for the front and rear suspension. This will mean I can get it up and running in a shorter timescale, hopefully for next Autumn.

As for the Spitfire retro car, I am now looking to make the Dutton into that car, as the Dutton has the same track as the Spitfire so the bonnet I have wont have to be split and widened. As this has a red-top car engine, it also means it can be Le Mans Spitfire inspired, which is a better looking car and was my original intention. I was wondering if that would be accepted for the CSCC Special saloons?
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:47 am

I would say yes to the Special Saloons plus its becoming it is becoming a very popular series.build the car with the pre 93 ethos and make no mention of it being Dutton based as they will just categorise as a kit car I would have thought

If you fancy a go in Special Saloons your more than welcome to come and give the Fiesta a try. You may be able to give me some advice reference the way the car handles etc. If your interested you would need to be a member of the Cscc and we would both need to be registered for the series total cost about £40 for club membership and £50 regestration. entry fee is cheap though when divided by 2 @ £140 each
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for that Ian, It would be the basic Dutton chassis but raised chassis/front suspension points at front to drop the complete chassis, and Hornet rear suspension at the back, so at a stage where you can go either way with its description - bespoke or modified Dutton! The chassis is all finished with diff mounts complete, gearbox and engine mounts almost complete and part panelled in alloy. It will have to wait till the MK5 is finished though.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:52 pm

[quote="billy f"]It was my birthday yesterday"

Me to, are we twins?
numbnuts
numbnuts

http://www.fullersforestry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sean Graham 72 Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 am

^ I've often wondered that too.  Laughing

Sean Graham 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down