Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EURO TRIP?

4 posters

:: Events

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

EURO TRIP? - Page 3 Empty Re: EURO TRIP?

Post by billy f Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:04 am

Re dates above, the weekend of 4/5 June is still during the half-tem break, so might have to go for Wed 8th to Mon 13th June. I may have trouble getting this time off, but how does this suite the rest of you?

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 am

Yes Billy Those dates suit. My apologies Billy I meant to post on here on the weekend but it was a manic one

IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:54 am

Either the 4/5th or the 8th to 13th will be fine, as regarding where we stay wed night I am easy Sleep

numbnuts

http://www.fullersforestry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, 8th to 13th suits all of us, so I just need to make sure I can get the time off work now a sit will be a very busy month for me. I will let you know as soon as my leave is confirmed.

It will be best to get across the channel on the Wednesday night, so lets plan on that.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:39 pm

I've booked the week of in preparation mate but it can easily be amended to suit

IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 am

Whoo-hooo Very Happy

First e-mail at work today is approval for my time off.

Regarding going across on the Wednesday night, I have just remembered that we are getting the cheap 5 day return deal for this trip, so if we went across on the Wednesday night, that would make it six days and we would lose the deal.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:10 am

What difference are we talking about Billy?

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 am

Just checked the current prices (prices rise as places reduce)

Going Wednesday night:
out - £70
return - £81
Total £151 but we would save about £7 in toll fees. However, it would also be tight getting the train on time, especially if there are delays with Dartford etc.

Going Thursday morning:
out - £59
return - £61
Total £120
We can take as much time as we like getting to Folkestone on the Wednesday and delay departure from Duxford if its raining etc.

Both Dave and myself are easy either way, with possibly a slight preference for departing Thursday morning.

I suggest we make a quick decision on this and then book the train tomorrow morning. I cant see anywhere were you can make group bookings so we would probably all have to book individually.
If you can let me know your preference before 15:00 today, I will recheck the prices and times and send you an e-mail with where to book and what times. Probably depart out @ 09:20 (but hopefully catch the 08:50 train) and return back @ 13:30.

billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 am

I'm fine with going Thursday mate

IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Thursday is goof for me too
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Its all really coming together nicely now Very Happy

One aspect I'm not sure of is breakfast and lunch. I don't drink hot drinks, so a bottle of water will do me for breakfast and through the day. For breakfast I will have just a sandwich or croissant, and I will get a baguette, smelly cheese and salami for making my lunch, with a stubbie. Dave and his son are happy to do much the same.

Ed and Ian what do you want to do about hot drinks and lunch?

On the first day when we come off the train we need to fill with fuel and there is a cheap petrol station and a McDonalds near the terminal. Would you want to pick up breakfast and a hot drink there?
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:30 pm

I expect you to serve a full English breakfast to us all Billy, every day followed by cucumber sandwiches and earl grey at lunch time and a roast beef dinner with port.

Actually mc donalds on the first day will be fine after that a pain au chocalat and tea/orange juice will be fine for breakfast. lunch will be bageutte ham and cheese, the evening will be anything hot served with plonk. I will happily drink water and cans of pop during the day. as long as we stop to admire the view and have a walk around every now and then so we can gett the blood flowing and we can then cram in the odd cheeky éclair
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:36 pm

I have just booked the Eurotunnel at the times discussed.

As I cant function in the Morning without caffeine I will pack a small camping stove and ketlle. I also intend to investigate as many Patesserie and Tabac as possible.

Whats the plan for evening meal are we planning on BBQ Roadkill.
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 am

Dave and I have just completed booking the trains, getting excited now bounce

That's good with the food side of things for breakfast and lunch.

For evening meals we have a choice of bars, restaurants or BBQs. On the first night the campsite is in the middle of a small town. Once we have set up camp we need to drive out to the supermarket just up the road to pick up some booze food and fuel. We then have the option of McD, bar, restaurant or BBQ back at the camp. I imagine it will depend on the weather.

The Ballons des Vosges is apparently renowned for its farmhouses that do food, so we can give that a try. I have also planned an evening 20-30 mile drive out in that area through the mountains to two very old and picturesque medieval villages, which are bound to have some nice places to eat.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:06 am

All the Tom-Tom routes for the each day have been checked out and I have revised some of them based on my experiences using the programme over the past couple of week. There are also some alternative choices for some of the routes depending on what the weather is like.

Will anyone else have a Tom Tom or similar as back-up?
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 am

I was planning on getting a tom tom like yours. does the route planning thingy all work out OK

Regarding evening food I am happy as long as it isn't a local speciality sausage Wink Feels like it is close already, not touched the car yet. next couple of weekends busy so will try to check her over the following weekend and possibly take a trip up to Tiger Racing.

Got a new lightweight car cover which im pleased with. Tried to get a new visor for my V2 Elite but they dont make them any more!!!!!!!!!

numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Ed,

That would be good if you get one (just make sure it has the Europe maps on it).

I have found the points along the route can be set as either waypoints or destinations, and you can have as many destinations along the route as you like. However, when you reach a destination, you have to let the sat nav know you have reached it by selecting the route itinerary list and prodding the destination on the list, then it resets itself to carry on with the rest of the route. The satnav then shows you how many miles to the next destination.

Waypoints on the other hand, just appear as little grey squares on the screen and they change colour as you pass through them, theres no need to acknowledge you have passed them. Additionally, the sat nav does not show you how far the next waypoint is. Subsequently, problems occur if you miss a waypoint, as the sat nav will take you in ever decreasing circles to try and find it, and if your not familiar with the area, then you may not realise this is happening! When you do realise something is amiss, you can delete the waypoint from the itinerary list by marking it as being visited, which only takes about 30 seconds.

Consequently, the routes have been revised to only have destinations where we are going to be actually stopping (fuel, camp-sites, museums, places-of-interestetc) and waypoints have been moved away from junctions (could be problems if junctions etc have been modified - eg changed to a roundabout) to open sections of road (generally after an important junction) where we will definitely be passing through them.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:05 am

Ed, if you get the hankering for another speciality sausage then Ian might be able to help you out Shocked
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 am

Not enough tea in China me old mucka. He is not my type he has teeth.

Ref the Tom Tom Billy I may purchase one over the next couple of months. I still have the details that you sent me before

IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:04 am

from what you told me Billy, Ian's is not a sausage of the battered variety, I like a bit of crunch...........................DONT PICTURE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:06 am

I am now booked Very Happy (for the tunnel not the sausage)
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:34 pm

That would be good, as we can then take it in turns to lead, plus if we get split up at traffic lights, junctions, etc we can easily regroup. Additionally, if you feel the urge to give it some beans you can depart the main group to give it some welly (or galosher as the French would say).

Furthermore, I have the feeling we may be doing more of this Very Happy
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:42 pm

So that's all of us booked on the train Cool

Did anyone book in any ferrets cat
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:11 pm

This will mean nothing if you haven't seen the inbetweeners movie.

But do I need to keep a rolled up 20 euro note up my arse ?
IAN51
IAN51

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:52 pm

Trying to get some info on comms for the trip here:

http://southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8128&p=116536#p116536
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 pm

The 2x cobra walkie talkies that I already have will do pretty much the same. They can be connected to ether close face or open face mics with push to talk. Rated to 5km and as we discovered on our last French outing worked fine without an external aerial.

numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 pm

I have been looking at some posh blue tooth motorbike ones, but they seem to be too flash and expensive for me.

Consequently, been looking at using normal and cheaper comms radios. They have the added hassle of needing a wiring harness to link everything up, but with the hassle of having a helmet and a seat harness to contend with when your getting in and out, then to me the added hassle of plugging your helmet into a radio is insignificant. The cheaper radios mean you have to use a PTT button rather than have a voice activated mic, but with an open face helmet I reckon it would be accidentally activating the mic all the time anyway.

I really prefer the open face helmet for the road and have found and chatted to a company called Intaride who make head sets with a very good noise cancelling mic for £28. Its more money, but I reckon the mic will be the weak link in the system, so reckon this will let me use the open face helmet at a reasonable cost.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackracing Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 pm

I might be able to rustle up 3 x icom radios for your trip.

Let me check in my stash
Jackracing
Jackracing

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks Jack.

Re range, from talking to Intaride the important factors regarding range are whether you are using it inside a car as the metal bodyshell acts like a Farady cage and the signal bounces around inside the car till it finds a way out. However, we ar ein open top cars, so the radios should work better than when we used them in the motorhomes last time we were in France. The other important point is to have the aerial as high as you can get it and to keep it vertical. I was thinking about mounting it on the roll cage above my helmet and fitting a remote PTT on the steering wheel
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:14 am

Ed, what model of Cobra radios are the ones you have?

Also how many batteries do they take? From memory they were 4 x AAA, and whilst they come with rechargeable ones, we may have difficulty charging them, so ordinary batteries may be best (should be able to get one or two days use from a set of batteries).

Do you know if the PTT button can be removed from the Cobra sets to reveal a socket that will allow a remote PTT (maybe fitted to the steering wheel) to be used?

I was looking at Cobra MT975 radios as they have a socket that you can plug an intercom adapter into, which allows you to run two headsets from a single radio - IE a two person intercom system.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 am

Mine are the MT245 model, towards the cheaper end of the range. They take 3xaaa batteries but can be charged from a USB, I was planning on having 12v cigarette lighter and plug in the sat nav for half of the time and then plug in the usb converter and charge the radio (or get a twin 12v) or as you say might be easier to take 6 spare batteries.
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Thanks Ed, I have looked up the spec of these radios, and they are comparatively quite low on range. I know we used them ok last time we were in France, but that was just between two vehicles on open roads. On the Eurotrip, there will be 4 cars and we will be on wooded twisty roads with some cars being on one side of a wooded inclined hairpin and other cars being the other side, so they might not be powerfull enough. Like the feature of being able to charge via USB though as I have a cigar lighter for powering the satnav. These radios don't seem to have the ability for one radio to act as an intercom unit, which is important for me, consequently I will be looking for a different type of radio. The spec says they can communicate with other PMR446 type radios, so I will be looking a PMR446 type radio to ensure compatability.
billy f
billy f

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:08 pm

I have the radios but am happy to replace with another if a better solution is found for all

Ed
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:04 pm

What distance do you think we will be apart from each other on the road?

I have just had a Muller rice and there are 3 more in the fridge....................now where did I put that string?
numbnuts
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

:: Events

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum