EURO TRIP?

:: Events

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EURO TRIP?

Post by billy f on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Who’s up for a lads road trip in Europe next year Question

I’m thinking of a long weekend, ferry from Dover to Dunkirk and a few days pottering/ragging round Europe Cool

My initial thoughts were to go and see Neil in the French Alps and do some of the passes, but that would be a minimum of 1200 miles, which would be a lot of driving.
Next thoughts were to do a disused (but still public road)5 mile F1 track round an old volcano, and then pop across to Mulhouse for a visit to the Schlumph collection, but the F1 track is too far south and the trip would still be about 1000 miles.
So next thought was to miss out the F1 track and go to the ring instead, but its 27 Euro a lap and a 95db noise limit, plus massive fines if something goes wrong.

Consequently I have ended up with the following suggestion:

THURSDAY
Meet at Duxford ready for an 11:00 departure (you can arrive earlier if you like, have a stretch and a free brew, if you like). Then Dover to Dunkirk, and into Belgium for early evening. Camp at Ypres (about 8 Euro) and go the remembrance ceremony at Menin Gate, before beers in the town.

FRIDAY
Through Belgium and drop into France and onto Reims for a visit/drive round the old F1 track/grandstands and pits. Then head off to towards Mulhouse for the Schlumph collection. This would be about 300 easy miles on the quiet French main roads, and the longest day of driving. I reckon we have enough fuel range for 150 mile stints at about 3 hrs each. Reims falls nicely in the middle of the 300 mile journey and a great place for a roadside BBQ and beer to see what other cars turn up.

SATURDAY
Visit the museum in the morning, then off through the Ballons des Vasges national park (some awesome looking roads) before lunch. Then take the D218, D45, D98 and D38 towards the Vosges du Nord National Park and camp somewhere there for the night. About 200 to230 miles of twisty B style roads depending on how it goes and where we stop.

SUNDAY
Explore the roads through the Vosges du Nord National Park, maybe pop into Germany, then take the twisty 118/CR356 through Luxembourg and head back into Belgium, for a drive through the Ardennes, before stopping for camping , possibly back at Ypres. About 200 to230 miles of B type roads depending on where we stopped the night before.

MONDAY
Maybe take in a few WW1 sites on the short run back to Dunkirk and then head back to UK.

Total distance in Europe is about 680 miles, so at 24mpg and Belgian/French fuel prices about £120. About £120 for ferries, about £40 for camping, so say £350 max total? There are no toll roads in Belgium and we will be using the N roads in France.

It would be a minimalistic road trip, camping and either using disposable BBQs or eating in the French bars/cafes. No need to book way in advance, but probably go sometime June to August. Not looking at ragging it all the way, but gentle cruising interspersed with some good exuberant runs through the many twisty bits.

We would be taking in 4 countries in 4 days, so who’s up for it, and any other ideas/thoughts?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EURO TRIP?

Post by IAN51 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:12 pm

I'd be well up for it mate. I'd like to visit the one of the military cemeteries if at all possible and will gladly take in any of the ww1 and ww2 places of interest
IAN51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Until I went this year, I didn't realise how many cemeteries there are! There must be a couple of hundred! Most are in out of the way places as well, so you go along quiet country roads to get to them. We can visit a couple on the way out and a couple on the way back without it adding too much time (just take loads of hankies with you).

I'm currently rethinking the Saturday and Sunday itinary as the Ballons des Vosges park has some amazing roads, so will probably miss out the Vosges du Nord National park (not as twisty or with the same change of gradient) and head off towards Konz in Germany for the night stop.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Here is some of the route I am working on at the moment:

Search for "Le Bonhomme" in Google maps, and you will see the D48 going north, and then the D48 goes off to the right and then there is a long hairpin to the left. Drop the orange man on the road before that hairpin and then keep going along the road - it looks epic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Firstly thanks for the work that you are putting into research. I am well up for this but I have a few concerns that could be solved with tweeks or it may just be me over thinking this again! I currently don't use the car on the road much so I need to address a few things before I would take on something like this. Mainly comfort related so that I can arrive to our destination and still be able to walk to the bar and without a left leg that is medium to well done. I hope that we can find enough time to do these over the winter.

The other concern is the amount of driving on the agenda. A holiday for me is time away from the nagging wife a horrible brats, it does need to be a bit of a break. I cant afford to return from a trip knackered. remember our cars have be altered and honed to be fast not comfortable.

This is how I see it but I could be completely wrong, I have not done this before so I am only guessing. For example assuming there are no traffic problems.

Lincoln to Duxford 2hrs
Duxford tea and meet up point 30 mins
Duxford to Dover 1hr 30 mins
Crossing with any waiting for Ian's cavity search at the border 1hr 30 mins
Calais to Ypres 1hr
so all in that's at least 6 and a half hours on the road and sea.

Thats Ok as a one off but I think you are planning on 6 hours the next day. I would prefer to have the energy for one or two more beers in the evening and a bit of ging gang goolie round the fire bounce .

What I suggest is a weekend test run before the big trip doing similar miles. and see how we feel the next day.
numbnuts

View user profile http://www.fullersforestry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Ed stop being a big pussy Laughing
IAN51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:28 pm

In all seriousness I'm happy to go with the flow we could maybe consider adding an extra day to reduce the daily mileage but stick to the same route ? Just throwing ideas about
IAN51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackracing on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Sounds interesting.

Ed, how is your left leg getting cooked?
Jackracing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:20 am

Wow just had a look at that section of road Billy it looks amazing.
IAN51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:59 pm

Jack, think it was venting from the engine bay into the footwell. I did an hour or so up the A1 to meet Billy back in summer on a hot day and I was in pain. think its solved now but is was very uncomfortable after an hour. 6 hours and I would have been char grilled!
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Just been looking at the ceremony at Menin gate really leaves a lump in your throat I'd really like to go to pay my respect
IAN51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks for all the feedback Very Happy

Ed, understand what you say about your cooked trotters, and hopefully the extra rivets in the floor-pan will have sorted most of it out, plus we can also add a fresh air vent into the footwell if required. We also need to do some work on your seat to make it more comfortable.

Re mileage and time travelling, theres no getting away from the fact that its a road-trip, so there will be a lot of time travelling and distance to cover, which is why I have cut it back to a max of 700 miles in Europe.

Re the first day it is a lot of time and the ferry trip to Dunkirk is 30 mins more than to Calais, so 2 hrs. Ian has also said he would like to visit some of the WW1 /WW2 sites, so an alternative would be to meet up at Duxford on the Wednesday instead, and depart at 15:00, then either camp near Dover, or catch a ferry and camp in France. This would then give us a full day to get to Reims and onto the border of the Ballons des Vosges National Park. On the way we can do the Somme area of WW1. Consequently, it would be a leisurely drive through the Belgian countryside and drop down to Reims for lunch, then dual carriageway/motorway from Reims to Ballons des Vosges National Park. That way there shouldn't be any long stints of driving.

The day in Ballons des Vosges National Park will be along one though due to visiting the Schlumph collection, and we will probably have a couple of stops through the park to take in the scenery.

it would be a good idea to have a trial run, but don't think there will be time to get in any long runs in the UK. However, I was looking to trailer the car to the Cotswolds sometime next year, camp in the motorhome, then have drive-outs around the Cotswold villages, so would you be interested in that?

I have also been looking at the schedule in more detail and the stay in Ypres would now be after the run through Luxembourg, plus we do some of the Flanders Fields WW1 sites on the day we catch the ferry back.

I will refine/revise the schedule over the next several days, and post the likely distances and travelling times for the stints.

Re cruising speeds on dual-carriageways at 4,000 rpm (70mph) my car chuffs a bit as this is the point where the main chokes in the carbs are starting to work, so a good cruising speed for me is either 67mph or 73 mph. Anything faster than 74 mph and after a bit the noise gets tiring.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:35 am

If your not aware of the Schlumph collection, her is the museum website:

http://www.citedelautomobile.com/en/home

Also worth looking it up on Wikepedia, as it has a very unusual history.

It doesnt open till 10:00 and entry is 11.5 euros.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:45 am

All sounds good Billy,

I just need to look at holidays next year and work out what I plan to do and when, therefore how many days I can do for a road trip.

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Heres a taster of the roads through Ballons des Vosges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek84gj0UUn0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:26 pm

and some of the roads in Luxembourg, before we get to go over the dams and up into the hills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThldgAcBHg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:35 am

For those of us that go on the Euro Trip, it is very usefull to have a sat nav that can have "itinerary's" loaded onto it. An intinerary is a route from A to B but includes various waypoints that you have to pass through. What this means, is that instead of the Sat Nav working out its own route, it has to follow the route on the itinerary, and this means you can create a route that takes in various points of interest, shops, cafes, interesting roads, little detours etc. Additionally, if we get split up in a city/town, or held up at traffic lights/junctions, we can easily regroup by following the sat nav till we meet up again, or re-group at the next waypoint. If we are split up it would also be difficult to use a mobile phone in the kit cars due to the wind and engine noise and the fact that in an open car it would be obvious to the bizzies. It would also be difficult to map read, due to the size of the area we are covering, the scale of the maps, and the fact we are using country roads as there are lots of minor roads that wont be on the maps.

I first came across this via the Southern Kit Car Club and so I will refer to their guides on how to use them.

The itineraries are created using a free programme off the internet, and then are downloaded to your sat nav via the same programme, which is here:
http://www.tyretotravel.com/
The programme interacts with google maps, so its quite easy to use.

How to check if your Sat Nav can use itinerary files: http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4352

You’ll need to put the intinerary file into the itn folder. There’s some info here:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44

How to put the .itn on your Sat Nav:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4353

And how to use the file:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4354

If you miss a waypoint the Sat Nav will keep trying to send you back to the missed way point, some info here on what to do:
http://www.southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4358

There’s a lot of info above, but once you get the hang of it is quite simple and a great way to tour Cool

So, first of all if you have a sat nav, please let me know if it will accept itinerary files?

Secondly, I will be creating the intineries (one or more, per days travel) over the next couple of months and will e-mail them out for you to upload and view on the Tyre to travel programme.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Cool looking forward to it
IAN51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:07 pm

The route now includes some WW1 sites in the Somme on the way out, and in Flanders fields on the way back. Also a German concentration camp in Alsace and of course the Schlumph motor collection. Other interesting bits will be the Reims circuit and a summer bobsleigh run at the top of one of the mountain passes.

The initial distance were calculated using autoroute, so I have been using Tyre to include all the little diversions above and also include the best roads (undulating and twisty country roads), which has increased the mileage in Europe now to 1126 miles, but the extra is well worth it. I have also been looking at using the Eurotunnel and as well as saving time (only 35 minutes) it is also cheaper as they do a special 5 day discount return, which would be £59 each way for our cars. Consequently, now looking at leaving Duxford a day earlier at approx 17:00 and camping near Folkestone, for an early crossing the next day. This allows the mileage to be split up better over the following days, which means the distances in Europe are now 278, 234, 249 and 293 miles. The 278 and 293 mile days include a reasonable and relaxed distance on dual carriageways and motorways, so this makes each days travelling relatively easy. Expected costs are now approx £500 for fuel, ferries, camping and entry fees. The stopover points have been moved around as well to spread the best bits of roads over more days Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:02 pm

http://www.onedirect.co.uk/two-way-radios/motorbike-communications

These could be added to the radios that I all ready have for three way pi$$ taking?
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by IAN51 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Looks good to me Ed easier way to communicate.

are these the roads we are looking at Billy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT-1VVl9UL8
IAN51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 am

Yes Very Happy those are some of the roads we will be using. We will be on 126 miles of roads like that Laughing If we go by ferry they are all crammed into one day, which would be a pity if it rains. However, if we go by Eurotunnel the time saved allows us to split those roads into 2 days, so an excellent chance of getting one and hopefully two days of good weather on these awesome roads. Also check out how little traffic is on the roads Cool

Ed, comms like those would be great, please could you look into it a bit more? I will be using an open face helmet so would need a mic that cuts out wind noise (atmospheric not anal).

I am progressing with an itinerary based on using the Eurotunnel and have all the days roughly planned. Just going through the routes now finding all the places of interest along the way, so I can work out where we need to be finding campsites. First night is the back of a pub that does food just 6 miles from Folkestone Eurtunnel. Second night is in a park in the middle of a small town on our route, so a short walk into town centre and a McDonalds is just down the road if your that way inclined.
Last night will be at Ypres on edge of the town and easy walking distance for the last post ceremony.
The two nights in between are for when were on the roads that Ian's video link shows. Undecided yet as still finding some good places to visit on those days, which will give several interesting stops to giggle like girls about the roads we had just covered, and stretch out the enjoyment.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by billy f on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Been looking at this place over lunch as its only a couple of miles off route.

http://www.fort-mutzig.eu/pages/_menu/menu_gbus.html#

However, you need to park in the town and its a 2:30 walk tour to/through/and back from the site. I'm not too keen on leaving the cars and kit unattended for that long in a town, and I don't think we will have the time to spare either. However, theres plenty of other places to visit Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Billy this might be of interest for you? one of the guys on the Tiger forum does a euro trip each year.

http://southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7613

He is a nice guy, think you might know him possibly? Mark Greenwood?? anyway if you want me to ask him anything let me know as he has done this several times before (apart from the camping bit)

numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by numbnuts on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:48 pm

I have 2 walkie talkies with a 5km range it is £20 each for the head sets (open face or closed) I am happy to buy 2x head sets and keep them after the trip as I can use them as a intercom with my passenger) So Billy and Ian if you want to buy 50% shares in another walkie talkie and headset (about £20 each then we are up and running.
numbnuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top